Quick Help Guide

Support During Times of Crisis

Hang a copy of this list in the window of your organisation or business and show your support for those in need.



Feed Geelong
(03) 5229 4364

Feed Geelong’s “Where I Can Eat” reference page is a directory service for you if you need emergency food relief.

The page provides links to many organisations that provide food assistance in the local Geelong region. 

Due to changing conditions, restrictions, and your health and safety we encourage you to call ahead on the numbers provided, before going out to access emergency food relief or to opt for contactless delivery if available.

See the BATForce Community Support Guide – Food Relief for a PDF version of the latest list of emergence food relief organisations.          BATForce Community Support Guide 

Feed Me Bellarine
0422 798 791

Open: 365 Days, 10am – 4pm 

Feed Me Bellarine runs a service collecting spare food and excess produce while sharing it with the community.

In addition to delivering food to the region, Feed Me Bellarine operates a café and market at 24 Sinclair Street, Ocean Grove that is open Tuesday to Saturday, from 10:00am – 4:00pm year round with the exception of Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

If you need emergency food or food relief you can fill out a form at https://www.feedmebellarine.com.au/forms and Feed Me Bellarine will add you to their weekly food relief run.

Help & Support Lines


1300 655 598

Open: Mon – Fri, 10am – 3pm

Bethany offers crisis support to a range of groups from a broad range of programs to people living in the Barwon and South West Region. Bethany can connect you to the best possible service organization to help you.

Their programs include:

  • Emergency Relief.
  • Gamblers Help.
  • Housing Services
  • Disability Support Services
  • Children and Family Services.
  • Whole-of-family family violence services.

You can learn more about how Bethany Community Support can help you here. 



Barwon South-West Housing Network
1800 825 955

Open: 24/7

Phone number available toll free 24/7.

Barwon South West Homelessness Network aims to provide better housing and support services for those living in the South Western regions of Victoria. You can speak to this agency for general housing advice by calling the number listed above (1800 825 955).

You can learn more about how Barwon South West Homelessness Support Network can help you here. 

Mental Health


13 11 14

Open: 24/7

Lifeline is Available 24/7.

Lifeline can help you if you are experiencing emotional distress. They operate a 24/7 crisis support and suicide prevention line, so you don’t have to face your darkest moments alone.

Lifeline exists to:

  • Save lives.
  • To provide connection and hope.
  • To educate and support.

Lifeline is committed to listening to you with compassion and without judgement to any person in Australia who is feeling overwhelmed, experiencing crisis or who longs to be heard.

You can learn more about how Lifeline can help you here.

Head to Help
1800 595 212

Open: Mon – Fri, 8:30 – 5pm

Phone number available Monday to Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm (Excluding Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day.)

When you call the Head to Help support line an experienced mental health professional will listen to you and help you find the best ways to get the help that you need.

Depending on your needs you may be:

  • Connected with suitable existing services.
  • Receive care at the HeadtoHelp hub either onsite or through telehealth.
  • Be connected to specialist or acute mental health services, including emergency care.

You can learn more about how Head to Help can help you here.   

Family Violence


The Orange Door
1800 312 820

Open: Mon – Fri, 9am – 5pm 

Phone number available toll 24/7. 

The Orange Door is a free service for adults, children and young people who are experiencing family violence and families who need extra support with the care of children.

You should contact Orange Door if:

  • Someone close to you is hurting you, controlling you or making you feel afraid – such as your partner, family member, carer or parent(s).
  • You are a child or young person who doesn’t have what you need to be OK.
  • You are worried about the safety of a friend or family member.
  • You need more support with the care of children, e.g due to money issues, illness, addiction, grief isolation or conflict.
  • You are worried about the safety of a child or young person.
  • You need help to change your behaviour and stop using violence in your relationships.  

You can learn more about how The Orange Door can help you here. 

The Sexual Assault and Family Violence Centre
(03) 5222 4318

Open: Mon – Fri, 9am – 5pm

If you have been impacted by or experienced sexual assault or family violence, The Sexual Assault & Family Violence Centre can help you.

The Sexual Assault and Family Violence Centre services include:

  • Free and confidential trauma informed counselling for adults, children and young people who have experienced family violence and sexual assault.
  • A 24-hour crisis care line to support any adult, child or young person who has experienced sexual assault in the past 14 days and needs immediate support.
  • 24-hour support for women and women and their children who are leaving a family violence situation and need support.
  • A range of additional early intervention, Problem Sexual Behaviour, prevention and training programs.  

You can learn more about The Sexual Assault & Family Violence Centre here.

Financial Stress


Open: Mon – Fri, 9am – 5pm 

Phone number available Monday to Friday, 9:00am – 5:00 pm (Excluding Good Friday and Easter Monday).

Financial counsellors can provide you with advice and support in understanding and exercising your rights and responsibilities in relation to debt recovery, payment of bills and governments concessions and entitlements.

Help can be available with you to you in the following ways:

  • Identify what you can and cant do if you’re having trouble paying debts, fines or bills.
  • Outline your rights and obligations in relation to debts.
  • Organise and implement payment plans.
  • Assist with personal budgets.
  • Negotiate on your behalf with other parties about your financial situation.
  • Provide information about government financial support program eligibility.
  • Assess your options in relation to your financial situation.
  • Provide information about bankruptcy.

You can read more about Bethany’s Financial Counselling program here. 

Salvation Army Doorways
(03) 5223 9200

Open: Mon – Fri, 9am – 3pm 

The Salvation Army’s Doorways works hand in hand with their Moneycare financial counselling program to assist individuals to regain control of their finances. They provide early-education and prevention strategies for people who may be at risk of financial hardship.

Doorways, together with teams from multiple programs, are working at the coalface of community, partnering with individuals and families for a better future.

You can learn more about The Salvation Army’s Doorways Program here.

Tenancy Support


Tenancy Tribunal
(03) 9416 2577

Open: Mon – Fri, 10am – 2pm 

Phone Number available Monday to Friday, 10:00am – 2:00pm (Excluding Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day).

Tenants Victoria is an organization formed to protect your rights as a rental tenant in Victoria and provide free and confidential assistance to:

  • Tenants in private rentals.
  • Tenants in public housing.
  • Tenants in caravan parks.
  • Residents and tenants in rooming houses.

You can read more about Tenants Victoria’s tenancy support here.